-Sadly, senior citizens are among the first to suffer from exposure to COVID-19. Living in close quarters is one of the highest contributing factors to exposure but the team from San Luis Obispo’s Elder Placement Professionals has prepared some guidelines to help ease concerns when it comes to choosing an assisted living facility.
The guidelines include:
- Questions to ask about the facility and COVID-19
- Questions to ask about the facility and its programs in general
- How to get the best service from professional resources
Questions about COVID-19
- How many residents and employees have tested positive for COVID-19? Ask about everyone: residents, staff, vendors, even visitors.
- Who is being tested and how often?
- What measures are being taken to prevent infection? Ask about sanitation practices, availability and use of PPE, including masks.
- How and when does the facility notify family when someone tests positive?
- Is the facility following the applicable Centers for Disease Control guidelines?
- What are the visitation policies? Many states and counties have lifted, or modified, the visitation ban. In the event of an outbreak, what alternatives to visiting in person are provided?
- What kind of COVID-19 prevention and care training has the staff received?
- Is the facility capable of providing adequate care for infected residents?
- What is the policy for allowing a resident who has been hospitalized with COVID-19 to return?
- Socializing is important to senior citizen’s mental and emotional health. How are important socializing programs being conducted? How is social distancing handled for meals and other activities such as exercise, entertainment and socializing?
- Is the staffing adequate?
The San Luis Obispo assisted living professionals have made it a point to be thoroughly familiar with the guidelines, regulations and best practices for COVID-19 safety and can help you prepare questions. The company works with assisted living facilities nationwide.
General questions about the facility and its programs
There are many important things to consider when selecting the right assisted living home. Along with the comforts of home such as good quality beds and furniture, healthy meals, staffing and medical concerns, activity programs rank high on the importance list.
Test the bed and furniture. Ask if you can have a meal before making up your mind. Prepare a list of questions related to your, or your family member’s medical conditions. Take a close look at the activity programs. Exercise, mental stimulation and socializing are important for a good quality of life.
- Are pets allowed and is there staff to help with pets if necessary?
- What social activities are available?
- Are faith-based activities available?
- Which meals are communal?
- Are field trips available?
- What kinds of exercise programs are available?
Getting the best from professional resources
Choosing the best assisted living home can be challenging in normal circumstances and even more so in the face of the COVID-19 pandemic. The professional services provided by the San Luis Obispo assisted living professionals are comprehensive, covering every aspect of settling contentedly into a new home.
The company works with facilities all across the United States and takes special efforts to match elders to the best living situation.
Elder Placement Professional’s free services include finding the best options and helping negotiate cost that fit your budget for:
- Home Care
- Residential Care Homes
- Retirement Communities
- Alzheimer’s, Dementia, Parkinson’s Care
- Assisted living nationwide
Elder Placement Professionals
1119 Palm St.
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401